About the Center on the Family
The Center is a unit within the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR) at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa. We are a multidisciplinary faculty with training in human development, social work, sociology, psychology, and family resource management. Our faculty and staff work at the intersection of research and outreach by collaborating with academic colleagues, local nonprofit and community organizations, state government agencies, and local and national philanthropies.
Strong, healthy families in Hawai‘i supported by their communities.
To create and share knowledge that supports and improves family well-being via interdisciplinary research, education, and community outreach.
- Conduct applied and basic research on topics related to family well-being.
- Increase the capacity of state agencies and community organizations that serve families through program evaluations, technical assistance, and training.
- Develop and disseminate research-based reports and educational materials that inform service delivery, advocacy, and large-scale program and policy development in Hawai‘i.
- Increase public awareness of the status and well-being of Hawai‘i’s families, including their children and elders.
- Facilitate and participate in networking and multidisciplinary, interdepartmental collaboration among persons interested in family-focused research, education, and outreach.