Ji-Yeon KimAssociate Specialist
Miller Hall, Room 103
Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State University – University Park Campus
Areas of Interest
Changes in family dynamics over time, sibling relationships, youth well-being, out-of-school time use, gender, ethnicity and culture
Research and Outreach Projects
- Services to Support, Monitor, and Report on the Substance Abuse Treatment Services. Hawai‘i State of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division (ADAD). Principal Investigator.
- Family Financial Challenges and Their Implications for the Quality of Family Relationships and Individual Adjustment. Integrated HATCH Fund from College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, University of Hawai‘i. Principal Investigator.
- Understanding the Well-being of Hawai‘i’s Families. Integrated HATCH Fund from College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, University of Hawai‘i. Co-Principal Investigator.
- Early Reading First (ERF), Hui A’o Mua: An Early Reading First Project. U.S. Department of Education. Co-Investigator.
- DeBaryshe, B., Kim, J., Davidson, D., & Gorecki, D. (2013). She is awesome and retains information like a sponge: Parent and child outcomes of the Learning Connections family involvement curriculum, NHSA Dialog: A Research-to-Practice Journal for the Early Childhood Field, 16, 127-147.
- McHale, S. M., Kim, J., Kan, M., & Updegraff, K. A. (2011). Sleep in Mexican-American adolescents: Social ecology and well-being correlates. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40, 666-679.
- Updegraff, K. A., Kim, J., Killoren, S. E., & Thayer, S. M. (2010). Mexican American parents’ involvement in adolescents’ peer relationships: Exploring the role of culture and adolescents’ peer experiences. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20, 65-87.
- McHale, S. M., Kim, J., Dotterer, A. M., Crouter, A. C., & Booth, A. (2009). The development of gendered interests and personality qualities from middle childhood through adolescence: A Bio-social analysis. Child Development, 80, 482-495.
- McHale, S. M., Bissell, J., & Kim, J. (2009). Sibling relationship, family, and genetic factors in sibling similarity in sexual risk. Journal of Family Psychology, 23, 562-572.
- McHale, S. M., Updegraff, K. A., Kim, J., & Cansler, E. (2009). Cultural orientations, daily activities, and adjustment in Mexican American youth. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 38, 627-641.
- McHale, S. M., Dotterer, A. M., & Kim, J. (2009). An ecological perspective on the media and youth development. American Behavioral Scientist, 52, 1186-1203.
- Feinberg, M., Kim, J., & Greenberg, M. (2008). Personality and community prevention teams: Dimensions of team leader and member personality predicting team functioning. Evaluation and Program Planning, 31, 403-409.
- Shanahan, L., Kim, J., McHale, S. M., & Crouter, A. C. (2007). Sibling similarities and differences in time use: A pattern-analytic, within-family approach. Social Development, 16, 663-681.
- Kim, J., McHale, S. M., Crouter, A. C., & Osgood, W. D. (2007). Longitudinal linkages between sibling relationships and adjustment from middle childhood through adolescence. Developmental Psychology, 43, 960-973.
- McHale, S. M., Whiteman, S., Kim, J., & Crouter, A. C. (2007). Characteristics and correlates of sibling relationships in two-parent African American families. Journal of Family Psychology, 21, 227-235.
- Kim, J., McHale, S. M., Osgood, W. D., & Crouter, A. C. (2006). Longitudinal course and family correlates of sibling relationships from childhood through adolescence. Child Development, 77, 1746-1761.
- McHale, S. M., Crouter, A. C., Kim, J., Burton, L. M., Davis, K., Dotterer, A., & Swanson, D. (2006). Mothers’ and fathers’ racial socialization in African American families: Implications for youth. Child Development, 77, 1387-1402.
- May, A., Kim, J., McHale, S. M., & Crouter, A. C. (2006). Parent-adolescent relationships and the development of weight concerns from early to late adolescence. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 39, 729-740.
- McHale, S. M., Kim, J., & Whiteman, S. (2006). Sibling relationships in childhood and adolescence. In P. Noller & J. Feeney (Eds.). Close Relationships. Psychology Press, 127-150.
- McHale, S. M., Kim, J., Whiteman, S., & Crouter, A. C. (2004). Links between sex-typed time use in middle childhood and gender development in early adolescence. Developmental Psychology, 40, 868-881.